Often referred to as "The Mountain Playground of the Southern Rockies," Red River features plenty of things to do to make a great vacation spot for people of all ages. Summers offer a haven to those in hot climates with our average high temperature in the 70’s and average nightly low in the 40’s. For the adventurous winter traveler, Red River receives an average of 214 inches of snow per year making the area a winter wonderland. In addition, the Red River Ski Area has snowmaking capabilities on 85% of the terrain so snow sports begin Thanksgiving weekend every year! Whether traveling Summer, Fall, or Winter, the Alpine Lodge is simply in a remarkable location to explore the Southern Rockies.
Located right at the base of the Red River Ski Area's main chair lift (platinum chair), adjacent to the Carson National Forest, on the Red River, and on Main Street, our lodge is in a perfect location to enjoy the many things to do in Red River in any season. Start planning your Red River adventure today and book online at the Alpine Lodge!
Planning a Ski/Ride Vacation? As a Platinum Partner with the Red River Ski Area, the Alpine Lodge makes your planning easy and your trip enjoyable. If you book with us, your Red River Ski Area reservation will be waiting for your arrival at our lodge. We are located right at the base of the Main Chair Lift (Platinum Chair). What could be more convenient!
First, book your cabin, condo, or hotel room by clicking below.
Second, book your ski area reservations by clicking below and using Code: ALPINE12. Your lift tickets, rental paperwork, and other ski related items will be waiting for you at the Alpine Lodge when you check-in.
Cross County Skiing & Snowshoeing- Visit the Enchanted Forest, New Mexico’s only full service cross country ski and snowshoe area. The Enchanted Forest offers 33km of 12 - 16 ft wide groomed trails for both classic and freestyle skiing and 15km devoted to snowshoes and access to miles and miles of backcountry trails.
Snow Tubing- When you don't want to get off the slopes at 4pm, rent a tube and share with friends or family. Starts at 4:15pm after the slopes close for a 60 minute tubing session. Tickets are sold the day of tubing on a first-come, first-serve basis starting at 7:30am.
Snowmobiling- There are many great snowmobiling trails just minutes from the lodge. Book a tour or bring your own snowmobile.
Summer & Fall Activities
- Red River Ski Area- Summer on the mountain starts at the Platinum Chair Lift across the street from the Alpine Lodge for quick, easy access to all of the Ski Area's summer activities.
- Summer Tubing- Come enjoy summer tubing at Alpine Lodge in Red River, this exciting and fun pastime is a great way to pass the summer hours away. You and your family will enjoy summer tubing!
- Carson National Forest - The Carson National Forest located adjacent to the Alpine Lodge offers some of the finest mountain scenery in the Southwest as well as amazing outdoor activities. Enjoy hiking, biking, photographing, fishing, bird watching, picnicking, and much more.
- Fishing - Enjoy fishing the Red River right from our private park behind the lodge or, take a drive and tour the Red River Fish Hatchery. The river is stocked throughout the summer.
- Hiking & Biking - Alpine Lodge is located right at the start of 3 trailheads for hiking and biking.
- Off-Road - If you really enjoy "roughing it", hit the back country on a four-wheeler, jeep, or UTV. The Alpine has ample parking for trailers if you want to bring your own OHV. Just remember to get your NM registration before you arrive. It's simple to get online.
- Community House Free Activities- Watch a movie under the stars, build a boat and race it down the river, listen to a musician on the lawn, all for free. Over 350 events are offered each summer.
- Hunting - Elk, mule deer, turkey, and more are in the region for hunting.
- White Water Rafting - Rafting down the Rio Grande River is a thrilling activity that you'll never forget!
Reserve a room now!
Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway - The most popular tour in our area; this National Forest Scenic Byway circles Wheeler Peak - definitely a drive worth taking. Drive through the communities of Red River, Taos, Angel Fire, and Eagle Nest.
Taos, NM - Enjoy the unique nature of this town.
- Rio Grande Gorge Bridge - walk across the gorge or for the more daring take a hot air balloon ride over the gorge and then relax in one of the natural hot springs.
- Taos Pueblo - Tour the historic pueblo, the only living Native American community.
- Taos Mountain Casino - also located on the Taos Pueblo is a casino.
- Taos Plaza & John Dunn Shops - stroll through the shops, museums, art galleries, and churches in the historic downtown area.
Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park - The Park located on the Enchanted Circle in Angel Fire provides a memorial to veterans, especially those who served in Vietnam.
Eagle Nest Lake State Park - Set in the scenic Moreno Valley and surrounded by two of the state's highest peaks, Baldy Mountain and Wheeler Peek, this 2,400-acre lake is known for its kokanee salmon and rainbow trout fishing.
Little Red Schoolhouse Museum - Learn about the history of Red River which started as a mining town in 1895.
Valle Vidal Preserve - The Valle Vidal is a veritable Rocky Mountain paradise, with abundant populations of Rocky Mountain wildlife, including mule deer, black bear, mountain lion, bald eagles, and native Rio Grande cutthroat trout.
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad - Catch America's highest & longest narrow gauge scenic railroad in Antonito, CO only 80 miles away. The views are especially spectacular in the fall when aspens are in full color. Also catch the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad in Fort Garland, CO, only an hour away, for a chance to see bear, elk, fox, bald eagle, etc.
Wild Rivers Recreation Area - In nearby Questa, NM, the Rio Grande River and Red River are preserved in their natural, free-flowing state for present and future generations to enjoy and appreciate.
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve - located less than 100 miles from Red River is the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve featuring the tallest dunes in North America.
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs - Deemed sacred by indigenous Native Americans of Northern New Mexico, Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs has been a gathering place and a source of healing for hundreds, even thousands of years. It is only about 1 1/2 hours from Red River.
As you can see, the nickname "The Mountain Playground of the Southern Rockies" is incredibly fitting considering the large number of activities and attractions here in the Enchanted Circle. Come stay at the Alpine Lodge and experience all the area has to offer. Location couldn't get better!
Check Rates and Availability